What is Mindful Eating?
Mindful eating is eating with intention and attention.
- Eating with the intention of taking care of yourself
- Eating with the attention necessary for noticing and enjoying your food and its effects on your body
When you eat you're paying attention to EVERYTHING...
- You will notice colors, smells, textures, flavors, temperatures, and even the sounds (crunch!) of our food.
- You will notice the experience of the body. Where in the body do we feel hunger? Where do we feel satisfaction? What does half-full feel like, or three quarters full?
- You also pay attention to the mind, while avoiding judgment or criticism, you'll notice when the mind gets distracted, (when you're no longer fully focused on eating/drinking)
- What impulses arise after you've taken a bite/sip? (like maybe you go to grab a book, to turn on the TV, to call someone on our cell phone, or to do web search on some interesting subject) You'll notice the impulse and return to just eating.
- How does eating affects our mood and how our emotions like anxiety influence our eating.
Changing old habits of eating and beginning to pay attention while eating is not easy... Don't try to make drastic changes. Change takes time, and is built on many small changes.
I've got a few challenge groups coming up soon!! In those challenge groups I will be going over some more tips on how to "eat mindful"! If you'd like more info on those groups or are interested in joining comment your email address below and I'll get back with you!! :)