Saturday, April 11, 2015

Spicy 'Slow Cooker' Pulled Pork


I love trying out new recipes and if I can make a "healthy" version of my some of my favorites, it's even better!!    BBQ pork is a favorite in our house, but the store bought bbq sauce isn't always the healthiest, so I decided to come up with my own "healthier" version!   When I told my husband I was going to try to make my own health bbq sauce he wrinkled up his nose and I think said something like "Do I have to eat it...".  He's always skeptical when I want to try making something healthier.  
I'm not going to lie, when I was cooking the sauce, but I really wanted to give it a shot and thought "well if it doesn't turn out we can just go grab something in town for supper."  Let's just say I was almost positive it wouldn't turn out right and we'd be going out for supper. 

Well, let me tell you, I WAS WRONG!! When it was all finished cooking I took at little bit to sample, expecting the worst and was pleasantly surprised!!  It was SO GOOD!   But I wasn't going to be satisfied until my kids and husband tried it... Let's just say it's a new favorite!  My daughter said it was a little spicy, but was really good, even asked for another scoop.  My husband said, and I quote,  "This is the best pulled pork you've made... and it's healthy??.... As far as I'm concerned you can make this every time we have roast."  I'll write that one off as a success!!

So, how did I make it?? 

Spicy BBQ Sauce
  • 2 Tablespoon Olive Oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 2 cups Tomato Juice
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
  • 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
  • 2 teaspoons chili powder
  • Sea salt to taste
In a medium sauce pan add olive oil and garlic powder, let simmer for about 1 minute. Add all other ingredients, stir and simmer until sauce thickens, roughly 30 minutes.  Allow to cook to room temp and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.

Slow Cooker Spicy Pulled Pork
- 2 - 2.5lbs Pork Roast
- Black Pepper
- 1 3/4 cup (above) Spicy BBQ sauce
- Corn Tortilla wraps (optional)

Trim fat from roast, if necessary. Place roast into a 3 or 4 quart slow cooker. Sprinkle with black pepper. Pour bbq sauce over the top. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours (or on high for 4-5 hours - BUT it's a lot more tender the longer you cook it).
Transfer the meat to a cutting board or plate. Use 2 forks and shred the meat. Place the meat back into the slower cooker and let it marinate in the sauce for a few minutes.  Serve on a corn tortilla shell or eat it plan with a side of veggies!

If you are doing 21 Day Fix, 3/4 cup, equals = 1 red and 1 orange.... add 1 yellow if you use a (6in) corn tortilla.

1 comment:

  1. Looks delicious! I'm definitely going to try this! Why does it count as 1 orange?

    ReplyDelete